Monday 13 August 2012

Keeping it in the Family

I will be stepping down as Chasetown's Mercury columnist.


Picture by Caroline Strange, Reel Photos
I have decided that I will not be writing my column this season. This decision was made because I won't be playing for Chasetown due to ongoing knee complications. As it is supposed to be a player column I feel that not being directly involved in the team makes it difficult for me to have the level of insight necessary to continue writing it. My brother Mark will take over as columnist for the coming season.

Mark will no doubt bring a fresh approach to the column as he sees football in a slightly different way to myself. He has been a Chasetown player ever since i helped Charlie sign him from Hednesford in the 2005/6 season. Mark is one of Chasetown's local lads, brought up in Shenstone and now living in Burntwood. I'm pleased that he has the opportunity to follow in my footsteps and write about the team.

As I mentioned earlier it is due to injury that I won't be playing this season. Complications following my initial knee surgery led to me needing a second operation. The success of this second operation is somewhat debatable and I am currently looking for the best course along which to proceed. Obviously I want to get back playing football if at all possible but as the old adage goes "you have to walk before you can run", and presumably  then you have to run before you can think about playing football.

I have by no means given up on football, I don't think I could. I just need to get to the stage where I have a chance before i can really even begin contemplating playing again. Until that is the case, I don't want to have to keep thinking about my friends and teammates playing
whilst i can't. This is why i didn't really consider writing my column as an outsider this season.

I will still be attending some Chasetown games and keeping in touch with the players, supporters and officials of the club. I think it will be an interesting season with the team in a consolidation phase. The players need to realise that Chopper and Sweeney are great blokes to play for and to make the most of this season both in the league and the cups.

Lastly i would just like to thank the friends and family who have believed in me and continued to support and take an interest in me during what has been mentally and physically a very difficult year. I'm eager to repay those people who have helped me and I'd love to do that on the football field. If not it will be in other ways. 

Over the last two seasons I have really enjoyed writing in the Mercury. I have always been pleasantly surprised at the number of people who pass comment on or simply mention that they read the column. I would like to thank you for reading and i hope that you will continue reading now that the reigns have been passed to Mark. If you find yourself missing my impassioned sporting ramblings then i have a sports blog S.O.S - Steakchopz on Sport (steakchopz.blogspot.com/) which you can easily find online.

Coxy has asked me to mention that the supporters club have organised a quiz at the Scholars Ground, Church street, Chasetown on Friday at 8pm for anyone who is interested. Chasetown's first game is away at Kings Lynn on Saturday the 18th.

1 comment:

  1. Well done Branchie! Great article. Best of luck to Mark and I look forward to reading his column.

    ReplyDelete